The Great Australian Bake Off

Try this amazing creation by The Great Australian Bake Off contestant Antonio.


  • Puff pastry

  • 500g strong white bread flour

  • 10g salt

  • 80g caster sugar

  • 2 eggs

  • 90ml cool water

  • 125ml milk

  • 250g unsalted butter

  • Caramalised puff pastry

  • 50g caster sugar

  • 40g pure icing sugar

  • Choux pastry

  • ½ cup water

  • ½ cup milk

  • 110g unsalted butter

  • Pinch of salt

  • 240g plain flour

  • 4 x whole eggs (59g each)

  • Lychee crème patisserie

  • 415g lychee puree

  • 105g eggs

  • 105g caster sugar

  • 53g cornflour

  • 2 vanilla beans

  • Raspberry crème patisserie

  • 415g seedless raspberry puree

  • 105g eggs

  • 105g caster sugar

  • 53g cornflour

  • 2 vanilla beans

  • White chocolate disc

  • 400g white chocolate

  • 200g titanium dioxide

  • Filling

  • 250g thickened cream

  • 50g pure icing sugar

  • 4 vanilla beans

  • Caramelised sugar

  • 500g caster sugar

  • 100g water

  • 200g glucose


  • 1.

    For the puff pastry, put the flour into the bowl of a mixer fitted with a dough hook. Add the salt, sugar, eggs, water and milk and mix until an elastic dough forms.

  • 2.

    On a lightly floured surface, roll out your dough to a rectangle, about 50 x 20cm. Flatten the butter to a rectangle, about 33 x 19cm. Lay the butter on the dough so that it covers the bottom two-thirds of it.

  • 3.

    Fold the exposed dough at the top down one-third of the butter. Cut off the exposed bit of butter and put it on the top of the dough you have just folded down. Fold the bottom half of the dough up. Pinch the edges lightly to seal in the butter. Put the dough in the freezer and chill for 10 minutes to harden butter.

  • 4.

    Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to a rectangle, about 50 x 20cm. Fold up one-third of the dough and then fold the top third down on top. Chill for 10 minutes. Repeat this twice more, putting the dough back into the freezer between turns.

  • 5.

    For the caramalised puff pastry, roll out the puff pastry to 3mm thick and bake for 10 minutes at 210°C. Take out of the oven and press flat with baking tray. Bake for 10 minutes at 180°C with a cooling rack on top of pastry to keep from puffing up. Take out of oven and sprinkle with caster sugar then icing sugar and bake again at 210°C until sugar is caramalised. Let cool before cutting into shape.

  • 6.

    For the choux pastry, bring the water, milk, butter and salt to the boil. Remove from heat and add sifted flour. Once it becomes a smooth paste, put back on a low heat and stir until the dough pulls away from the sides and has a slight sheen. Place the dough in the bowl of a stand mixer and with the paddle attachment slowly add in the eggs to reach the desired consistency (slowly slides off of the paddle). Pipe out choux buns, top with prepared sable and bake at 130°C for 15 minutes before baking for a further 15 minutes or until golden brown at 170°C. Fill with crème pat fillings before dipping in caramalised sugar.

  • 7.

    For the lychee and raspberry crème patisserie, heat the puree and vanilla until almost boiling. Whisk the egg yolks, sugar and cornflour until thick and pale. Gradually mix in hot puree. Put back on a medium heat and whisk continuously until the custard comes to the boil. Boil for 1 minute.

  • 8.

    Tempered chocolate, melt 75% of the chocolate until it reaches 40-45°C. Mix in the remaining 25% dark chocolate until it reaches 27°C. Re-heat to 32°C. Spread onto prepared acetate sheets, cut into desired shape and leave to crystallise.

  • 9.

    To assemble, cut out discs of the caramalised puff pastry before sandwiching with rings of both raspberry and lychee crème pat before topping with another disc of caramalised puff pastry. Pipe a decorative circle of cream using a St Honore piping tip, then along the outside place the filled choux buns. Top with tempered white chocolate decoration.

Nutritional information

Nutritional analysis per serving (40 servings)

  • Energy 381kj
  • Fat Total 14g
  • Saturated Fat 8g
  • Protein 5g
  • Carbohydrate 58g
  • Sugar 41g
  • Sodium 140mg

Note: The information shown is Edamam's estimate based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice.

Powered by


This recipe has not been edited or tested by the Bake Off Food Department

Like this recipe? Subscribe to our newsletter to get more recipes like this delivered striaght to your inbox.

By registering you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Privacy Notice

Metric Converter

Tell us what you think in the comments below


Sign Out

Click to Rate

Join the Conversation

Please note, LifeStyle cannot respond to all comments posted in our comments feed. If you have a comment or query you would like LifeStyle to respond to, please use our feedback form.

0 0 0 0 0
Average Rating
0 comments • 0 ratings