» Print Recipe
Ronny Ghantous, the Group Executive Chef of the Union Hotel and Uncorked Restaurant, recently won the prestigious accolade for the 'Best Gourmet Hotel Pie' at the Annual Baking's Association of Australia. The award-winning stand out pie creation consists of a delicious slow braised Beef Bourguignon with Mushrooms, Lardons, Red Wine and a mouth-watering Crispy Puff Pastry Lid, served with a Creamy Truffle Mash.
1. Preheat oven to 180°C
2. Prepare all of the ingredients:
- Quarter Mushrooms
- Slice Bacon Rashers
- Dice Onion
- Slice Garlic
- Peel and cut carrot
- Chop Thyme up finely
- Halve Eshallots
3. Heat half olive oil in a frying pan. Fry chuck until browned on all sides. Mix beef with flour. Put aside.
4. In a large pot, heat the rest of the oil. Add onion, garlic and thyme and sauté until soft and fragrant.
5. Add mushrooms, bacon, carrots and eshallots. Cook for 8 minutes, or until they start to soften and colour.
6. Place beef back into pot, and deglaze with red wine. Reduce by half.
7. Add stock and bay leaf to pot, making sure it is all covered by liquid.
8. Place lid on pot and put it in the oven for 2.5-3 hrs, checking and stirring every hour.
9. Once beef is softened and the liquid has thickened, season to taste.
10. Place pie mix in ramekin and top with half a sheet of puff pastry. Cook at 230°C for 6 mins.
11. Serve with Mashed Potato and a drizzle of truffle oil.
» Related Recipes
» Metric Converter