The world's most expensive pie (AKA the #PoshPie) has just gone on sale for a cheeky $12,000 a pop. And when you see the Ingredients list, you might just understand why.
Unveiled in Sydney at the Lord Dudley Hotel, the humble meat pie with a twist has some pretty high-end ingredients making up its filling. At the heart are two different cuts of premium beef from the acclaimed David Blackmore, two whole West Australian rock lobsters and two bottles of Penfolds Grange Reserve. The question is, would you need a third bottle to wash it down with?
Lord Dudley Executive Chef Paul Medcalf, creator of the pie, has given the classic ‘surf and turf’ concept a luxurious twist with the addition of rare Winter Black truffles and dried Italian porcini mushrooms. The pie also comes complete topped with homemade organic pastry adorned with...ahem.... 24 Karat German gold leaf.
The pie was created to help Groupon celebrate its 2 millionth dining voucher and is available to buy from the website for $12,000. For the budget concise (i.e. most of us) Groupon is giving one lucky person the chance to try the pie for free.
So, what else exactly goes into a pie to give it such a hefty price tag?
The #PoshPie ingredients
- 2kg David Blackmores brisket
- 2kg David Blackmores Beef tenderloin marble score
- 2 x Western Australian Whole Rock Lobsters
- 500g of Australian Winter Black Truffles 500g
- 1 x pack German Gold Leaf
- 2 x Penfolds Grange Reserve bottles
- Dried Italian porcini mushrooms
- Puff Pastry
- All organic vegetables Eschalot, carrot, celery, leek, vine ripened tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, tomato puree, thyme
For your chance to taste the pie, enter the competition at www.groupon.com.au. The lucky winner will be announced Thursday 4 June 2015.