Cooking the turkey at Christmas can not only be stressful, but often you are left with dry or undercooked meat.
Chef, Grant Croft, knows that preparing Christmas food is actually quite challenging. His best tip for Christmas is don't overcomplicate food and enjoy the natural flavours of ham and turkey without getting too fancy.
Here are his quick tips for the perfect turkey:
- OVEN: Make sure you have the right turkey for your oven. This may seem basic, but a 5kg turkey actually won't fit in a 3kg oven.
- COOKING TIME: Remember every kilogram is 1 hour of cooking. eg/ if you have a 3kg turkey it needs to cook for 3 hours at 180 degrees
- MOIST: Combine butter, salt and spices such as rosemary and sage and put this under the skin of the turkey. This will ensure the meat doesn't dry out and is kept moist.
- GOLDEN: During the last 20 minutes turn up the oven to 200 degrees. This will make the skin golden.
- REST: When you take the turkey out of the oven, rest it UPSIDE DOWN on a cooling rack. This allows all the juices to flow into the turkey breasts, ensuring the best possible flavour.
- CRISPY: Once the turkey has rested for 20 mins, put it back in the over for an extra 5 mins. This will turn the golden skin into the perfect crispy skin.
For delicious turkey recipes, check out our Christmas Turkey Recipe Collection.