Looking to spice up your home-cooked dinners?
Add some Malaysian dishes to your foodie repertoire, with Chef Jackie M’s top tips to cooking Malaysian at home.
1. Use shortcuts – rather than grind your own spices use commercial curry mixes and boost flavours by simply adding fresh ingredients like garlic, ginger and shallots/onions during the cooking process.
2. Malaysian’s cook by taste – if you think a recipe needs 3 times the amount of salt called for, don’t be afraid to add it.
3. Always blanch the noodles in a separate pot of boiling water and not directly in the soup, when making soup-based noodle dishes like Curry Laksa.
4. Never add curry powder or powders spices directly into a pot of water. Mix them to a paste with water, then fry until the oil separates
5. Cook stir-fries in small batches to maintain a high heat level during the cooking process and avoid noodles or vegetables stewing.
Spicing up your BBQ with Malaysian
1. Wrap seafood in banana leaves for flavour and to keep them moist during cooking
2. Baste meat with lemongrass dipped in oil for extra flavour
3. Cut meat in thin strips when used for skewering to facilitate cooking
Now that you’ve got the top tips to get you started, try these delicious Malaysian recipes