Meatballs are an Australian family favourite, but can be a challenge to get the right consistency, flavour and texture.
For tender meatballs, follow these 5 simple tips:
1. Rather than using dry breadcrumbs in your mixture, moisten with a good splash or two of milk and a small dash of olive oil
2. The mixture is ready to shape when it will hold together, leaving the sides of the bowl clean
3. When shaping your meatballs, keep the size consistent so that each batch can cook consistently and at the same time
4. Stand for 30 minutes in the fridge after shaping to help firm them before cooking
5. Cook in a gently simmering sauce or to fry, roll in flour before cooking so they don’t spatter or stick to the pan
Get creative and try these three recipes for a new take on a classic meatball dish: