When you're not allowed out during isolation, it's not un-surprising that people turn to childhood favourite foods for comfort.
In fact, Internet search data has shown that searches for recipes for everyone's favourite, homemade honeycomb, have sky-rocketed.
Aussies may have grown up calling it cinder toffee or hokey pokey, but no matter it was called, you knew it was a delicious textural sensation.
The basic recipe to make honeycomb is pretty straightfroward:
450g granulated sugar
4 tablespoons of vinegar
½ level tsp of bicarbonate of soda
1. Butter or oil a tin measuring 12 inch by 4inch or 7inch square tin.
2.In a deep heavy based saucepan, dissolve the sugar in the water, which has been mixed with the vinegar.
3. Bring to boiling point and then boil gently to a soft crack temperature. Use a sugar thermometer in the toffee – the temperature will be 141 C or 285 F.
4.Take from the heat and then add the bicarbonate of soda, stir thoroughly and then pour into your prepared tin.
5. When half set, mark out squares with a knife. This will make it a lot easier to break up when properly set.
And then you can really jazz up that dessert into something special! Add some unexpected flavours, like a simple teaspoon of ginger, or chilli flakes and almonds.
The heat of the chilli or the ginger cuts through the sweetness of the honeycomb and instantly turns a childhood treat into a grown-up snack.
So get out your sugar thermometer, we've found some other recipes for honeycomb you might just love - crunchy, munchy and most definitely more-ish, this lovely toffee will satisfy any sweet tooth!
River Cottage Australia's Paul West reveals, "I don't know who's happier when I make these crunchy, airy treats - my dentist or me. It's easy and fun to make, as long as you get the temperature just right!"
And this one is a real treat if you have a sweet tooth!
More on LifeStyle.com.au:
- Coles unveils pop-up treat bars in stores around Australia
- Slow cooker recipe: Simple steamed jam sponge pudding
- Jaffa-cake flavoured gin exists and here's how to get it!