With the chilly winter weather well and truly set in, there's nothing better than a cup of tea and a sweet treat to get you through the afternoon.
Winter is a great time to catch up with friends and spend some quality time indoors so why not host your own high tea?
These scrumptious little Coconut Macaroons from www.eggs.org.au make the perfect partner for a hot cup of tea or coffee and, while they may look decadent, they are lower in kilojoules than many other sweet treats, making them a guilt free indulgence (if you can stop at just one!).
They take just 15 minute to prepare, they look like a master chef creation and taste even better. Once baked, the macaroons will also keep for up to three days in an airtight container, meaning you can prepare them in advance and spend more time socialising.
Coconut Macaroons Recipe from www.eggs.org.au
Gluten free - Makes 30
Preparation time: 15 minutes, cooking time: 25 minutes
2 eggs, separated
3/4 cup caster sugar
3 cups desiccated coconut
1. Beat egg whites in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form
2. Gradually beat in caster sugar, one tablespoon at a time, until the sugar is dissolved between each addition
3. Beat in egg yolks and then fold in coconut until well combined
4. Spoon tablespoons of the coconut mixture, about five centimetres apart, onto baking-paper lined oven trays
5. Cook in a moderately low oven (about 160°C) for 20-25 minutes, or until macaroons are golden brown
6. Cool on a tray before serving or storing in an airtight container
Other great high tea suggestions include:
-Thai Curried Egg Canapés
-Smoked Trout Frittata Squares
-Gourmet Eggs Sandwiches
-Chinese Tea Eggs
-Egg and tomato tart
-Meringue Nests with Lime Curd and Passionfruit
-Individual Crème Caramels
-Individual Ruby Grapefruit Crème Brûlées