Great Australian Bake Off judge Maggie Beer has shared her super-simple recipe for the perfect roast potatoes - using just three simple ingredients.
The cookbook author and LifeStyle favourite uploaded a cooking video to her Instagram showing exactly how she makes her fluffy but crispy golden roast potatoes.
And the key to her success? She says red-skinned Désirée potatoes with salt and olive oil produce the perfect roasties.
'First, have good potatoes. A base waxy potato like désirée are very accessible but any potato that will roast will be fantastic,' Maggie says from her home kitchen in South Australia’s Barossa Valley.
To prepare her roast potatoes, Maggie slices the potatoes in half, keeping the skin on, and then parboils them in a pot of boiling salted water for 20 minutes.
While 20 minutes sounds like a long time, Maggie believes this is what ensures the inside of the potato stays fluffy.
“What I'm going to do is squash these down,” says Maggie spreading them on the baking tray. “Keep some shape but only some, skins on and of course, you can peel them if you must,” she says
“I guess if you peel them, it'll be a little bit fluffier but the goodness in the skin, let alone the flavour in the skin are so worth it that there is no way I'm going to lose that.
“They have to be cooked enough to be able to squash down like this.”
Maggie then seasons her roast potatoes with two teaspoons of salt and a glug of olive oil before tossing them to coat.
“I'm going to drizzle them liberally with olive oil... lots of olive oil to moisten the bits. Olive oil being the good fat but there's nothing against butter,” she says.
She placed the potatoes in a 'very heavy based' baking tray and roasted them for just 20 minutes at a very high temperature of 230 degrees.
“Now that's going to be another 20 minutes because I want all those jagged edges to become really crispy, and they'd be such a fight for them when they go on the table,' Maggie reveals.
Once the potatoes are crispy and golden all over, Maggie removes them proudly to show her perfect dish. And boy, do they look good!
"You can see how beautifully crispy they are," she says.
Maggie's Perfect Roast Potatoes Recipe
- 1kg waxy potatoes, try Désirée
- Two tsp of salt
- Generous glug of olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 230 degrees.
- Slice the potatoes in half with skin on. Parboil them in a pot of boiling salted water for 20 minutes, then drain in a colander. Allow them to cool.
- Then gently squash each potato with a fork or a masher and place them into a large bowl. Season with salt and a generous amount of oil. Toss to coat.
- Transfer the potatoes to a baking tray.
- Roast for 20 minutes at 230 degrees or until crispy and golden all over.
- Remove the tray from the oven and serve while piping hot.
Also on LifeStyle: