The morning has come around again, and it is time for the most important meal of the day, breakfast!
Now-a-days people often do not have the time to dedicate to breakfast - simply because of lifestyle/work/time pressure. We are all guilty of missing the odd breakfast, or grabbing a snack en route to work in hope of sustaining ourselves till lunch time. We are all kidding ourselves into thinking this is fine, because it really isn’t!
Breakfast should be celebrated and enjoyed, after all it is the first meal you have after fasting all night. It is the first thing which enters our bodies to energise and revive us. Without this we are running on ‘low’ and therefore not truly ourselves.
Breakfast affects everything from your metabolism, fat burning, mood, energy levels and eating pattern for the rest of the day. Without starting right you are far more likely to continue the day on a bad note.
This month I am sharing my Supercharged Breakfast Bar from my recipe book Eat Yourself Beautiful. These nourishing bars can be made over the weekend and enjoyed by the entire family throughout the week, with room for adaptability if you feel like being a little adventurous in the kitchen!
The base of these health boosting breakfast bars is almond meal, a naturally gluten free mineral rich alternative to additive-laden flour. With tons of flaxseeds, sunflower seeds and coconut oil, these bars give an instant hit of protein rich omega-3’s, ideal for giving your skin that added glow we all crave.
Where you can get creative is on the different types of fruit and nuts. Whether one week you feel a little run down and need an extra comforting hit of antioxidants, then dried goji berries is a great way to go. Or whether you have been hitting it extra hard in the gym and need more protein, then adding nut butters is ideal, organic almond or cashew butter works perfectly. Whatever you fancy, the options are endless!
I have a tip for you too, teaming these bars with some gorgeous chia seed raspberry jam provides even more nutrients and an abundance of skin boosting omega-3’s, as well as a little extra sweetness for those of you with a sweet tooth!
Supercharged Breakfast Bars
Makes: 8 Bars
- unsalted butter, for greasing
- 125 g (41/2 oz/11/4 cups) almond meal
- pinch of Celtic sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) 60 ml (2 fl oz/1/4 cup) coconut oil
- 60 ml (2 fl oz/1/4 cup) rice malt syrup, or sweetener of your choice
- 1 teaspoon alcohol-free vanilla extract
- 40 g (11/2 oz/1/4 cup) cashews, crushed
- 160 g (51/2 oz/11/4 cups) combined flaxseeds, sunflower seeds and slivered almonds (FSA)
- 40 g (11/2 oz/1/4 cup) dried cranberries (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 175°C (345°F/Gas 3–4). Grease a 20 x 20 x 5 cm (8 x 8 x 2 inch) square ovenproof tin.
- Mix the almond meal, salt and bicarbonate of soda together in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the coconut oil, rice malt syrup and vanilla. Add the almond meal mixture, and mix in the nuts, seeds and cranberries, if using.
- Wet your hands and then transfer the mixture to the tin, using your hands to press down firmly on the mixture.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 15–20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, transfer to a wire rack and cool before dividing into 8 bars and serving.
- These will keep in an airtight container for 7–10 days.