Segmenting an orange is simple enough and gives you lovely pretty pieces for a dessert or salad. This how to guide shows you how to get it right.
1. Slice off the top and bottom of your orange.
2. Stand it flat on a board and slice away the peel, trying to follow the shape of the orange.
3. Don’t worry if there’s still some of the white pith, just go back around and trim it off neatly.
4. Hold the orange in your hand. Slip the knife in along the edge of each segment. You want to release it from the middle bit, without any of the tough membrane.
5. Keep going round the orange until you’ve cut out all the little segments.
6. Squeeze out the juice that’s left in the skin. It’ll keep your segments from drying out and can add an extra boost to your sauce or dressing.
Check out all the recipes featured on Cookery School.