Getting a simple steak just right all comes down to the preparation.
Salting is a clever way to ensure perfectly tender steak. It also brings out incredible flavours in the meat, and only takes 20 minutes – ideal for last-minute weeknight entertaining! Here are Donna Hay's tips to cooking a succulent streak, every time.
- You can buy rock salt, relatively inexpensively, in large bags from the supermarket.
- First, brush the steaks all over with extra virgin olive oil. Spread a layer of rock salt evenly onto a tray and top with the steaks.
- Sprinkle the steaks with more salt so they’re well covered. Set aside for 20 minutes.
- When ready to cook, while you’re preheating the barbecue or char-grill pan to high heat, use paper towel to help you wipe all the salt from the meat.
- Cook the steaks, turning them every 1 minute, for around 2–3 minutes each side or until cooked to your liking.
- Turning the steaks frequently like this helps them cook evenly, plus it caramelises the surface for added flavour and tenderness.