It’s slippery, smooth and a bit of a faff but more than worth the effort. Follow our simple how to guide and give squid its day in the sun.
1. Hold onto the long body of the squid and pull on the tentacles to remove them. The innards will come out too.
If you want to keep the ink, puncture the sac over a bowl.
2. Slice the tentacles away from the innards by cutting just below the eyes. You can throw the innards away.
3. Remove the little hard lump from the middle of the tentacles. That’s its beak.
4. Peel off the black skin from the body, and the ears – its flappy edges.
5. Pull out the thin, hard cuttlebone from inside the body.
6. Rinse it all well with cold water and you’re ready to go.
Check out all the recipes featured on Cookery School.