In this simple how to guide Richard shows us how to make a pretty pear for the French classic tart tatin.
1. Peel each of your pears using a peeler or paring knife.
2. Slice down the length of each one to cut into two halves.
3. Use a melon baller to neatly scoop out the core.
4. Cut out the stem of the pear using the tip of your knife.
5. Trim the stem end of the pear to neaten it and remove any bits that could be tough.
6. Fill the holes with a star anise, and fit a thinly cut sliver of vanilla pod into the space where the stem was.
Check out all the recipes featured on Cookery School.