A good tiramisu is hard to beat. Whip one up in less than 20 minutes with this quick how to guide.
1. Whisk your egg yolks and sugar together using an electric whisk. Keep going until the mixture’s pale and fluffy and leaves ribbons on the surface when you drip some mixture from the beaters.
This is called the ribbon stage.
2. Fold the mascarpone into some whipped cream, then stir it all into the egg yolk mixture. Give it a quick blitz with your electric whisk to mix it all in.
3. Wash your beaters with plenty of washing up liquid to remove the grease. Get a really scrupulously clean bowl and drop in your egg whites.
Whisk until the mixture is opaque, white and fluffy. You want them at the soft peaks stage - where the meringue sticks to the beaters, and flops over a little bit if you hold them upwards.
Mix a spoonful of your egg whites into the creamy mixture - this'll loosen it. Then gently fold in the rest a spoonful at a time using a large metal spoon and a figure of eight slicing motion. Knock any big bits of white with the edge of your spoon, but don't overbeat it. You want it light and fluffy.
4. Dip your sponge fingers into a mixture of coffee and coffee liqueur.
5. Layer the creamy mixture and the dipped biscuits in serving glasses or a big bowl, whichever you like.
6. Sprinkle over the cocoa powder and chill until you’re ready to serve.
Check out all the recipes featured on Cookery School.