Learn how to make a delicious praline from fresh hazelnuts with this simple recipe.
Homemade praline is a versatile sweet treat that can dress up almost any dessert.
It's easy to make at home and you can store it in an airtight container for a couple of weeks - if you can stop yourself from eating it all in one go!
Try this basic recipe:
What you will need:
• 100g raw hazelnuts
• 150g sugar
• Baking tray
• Tea towel
• Non stick frying pan
• Baking paper
• Food processor
• Air-tight container
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- To remove hazelnut skins, place on a baking tray and roast for 5 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- When cool, place the hazelnuts onto a flat tea towel. Draw up the edges of the tea towel to enclose the hazelnuts, and rub the towel in a circular motion to remove the skins. Transfer the skinless nuts to a lined baking tray.
- Place the sugar in a large, non stick frying pan. On a medium heat, let the sugar caramelize until golden brown, gently swirling the pan to ensure that the toffee cooks evenly. As soon as it reaches a toffee colour, remove from heat and carefully pour over the hazelnuts. Allow to cool and set at room temperature for 5 minutes.
- For praline, transfer the toffee hazelnuts to a food processor and blitz until you have coarse breadcrumbs.
- Keep in an air-tight container until use.