Banish memories of sticky skin with this lesson in lump free custard
1. Start by placing the milk and vanilla pod in a heavy-bottomed saucepan.
2. Heat it gently but don’t let it boil.
3. Beat the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until they’re pale and creamy.
4. Pour the hot milk onto the egg yolks, constantly beating as you go.
5. Rinse the pan then pour the mixture back in.
6. Heat the mixture gently until it’s just thickened, then quickly remove it from the heat and pour into a jug to keep warm.