If you love sweet, juicy and prickly pineapples, discover how how to prepare this fantastic fruit and their great health benefits.
We asked nutritionist Dr Joanna McMillan about the health benefits of this sweet fruit, and learnt that pineapples are rich in vitamin C, which is essential for healthy skin and a strong immune system. They also help support a balanced diet with thiamin, niacin, manganese and plenty of fibre.
To make it easier to cut into the sometimes tough exterior of a pineapple, Australian pineapple grower, Chris Fullerton recommends you follow these simple steps:
- Select a large sharp knife and always cut away from your body.
- Chop off the crown and base, then slice down around the edges to remove the skin.
- Cut pineapple lengthways in half and then into quarters.
- Remove the core cutting from top to base (or leave it if you prefer your pineapple crunchy).
- Slice quarters into bite size pieces
Check out our pineapple recipe collection and discover how versatile and delicious this fruit is.