While there is no winning formula to creating delicious ice cream flavour combinations, Lawrence Harris, creator of Harry's Ice Cream recommends following these simple rules of thumb.
1. Keep it simple with a maximum of three additions; you want to be able to taste each element
2. If you’re adding a very sweet mix-in such as white chocolate or honeycomb, consider reducing the amount of sugar in the base mix to ensure the end product isn’t overly sweet
3. Think about each flavour on a plate and consider if they complement each other – match flavours that have a natural affinity to each other or reflect an existing dessert that works well
4. The freezer bowl you’re using should be completely frozen before starting the process – put it in the freezer for 24 hours prior
5. Mix-in ingredients and flavours should be no larger than a 10 cent piece