Learn to cover shaped cakes with these handy tips from Planet Cake's, Paris Cutler.
All of the same principles apply with a shaped cake as they do with a round & square cake, however covering a shaped cake you must literally FEEL YOUR WAY through it.
1. Before you even think about icing your shaped cake, feel over your bare ganached cake with your hands getting to know each crease and turn and removing any crumbs or sharp edges.
2. When it comes to covering the cake make sure you work quickly. Initially you will be using your hands to secure the icing. Quickly run your hand over the top surface to make sure there are no air bubbles. Secure all creases and unusual shapes with your hands and fingers.
3. Secure the edges of the cake by running the palm of your hand along side of the cake (karate chop hand position).
4. Once the whole cake is covered, take the back of your plastic knife and gently press the remaining icing against the side and base of the cake and tuck it under to make a cutting line, now trim the icing with a sharp knife.
5. Now using your magical flexi scraper buff and polish the icing against the shape of the cake, creating a more defined shape. The longer you spend doing this the better the shape will look. Make sure every air bubble is eliminated, gently working the cake with hands and flexi scraper.