Offal’s made a real comeback in the last couple of years but it‘s hard to know what to do with all those odds and ends. Don’t know your trotters from your tripe? Our how to cook kidneys guide can be your first step to follow the trend
1. Take off the outer membrane of the kidneys.
2. Cut out the core using a sharp knife. No one likes gristle.
3. Heat some butter in a frying pan and once it’s foamy add the kidneys.
4. Fry the kidneys for 3-5 minutes, turning them once so they get a nice and browned.
5. Sit them on a plate to rest for 5 minutes or so. This’ll let the heat get all the way through the kidneys while keeping them nice and pink in the middle.
6. While the kidneys are resting, add any spices and a splash of wine or cream to make a sauce. Don’t forget to tip in the juices from the rested kidneys.
You can slice the kidneys and return them to the pan, or serve them whole with any sauce poured over.
Check out all the recipes featured on Cookery School.