It might seem easy but chopping an onion can often bring us to tears and not just because of the pungent fumes.
Brush up on the basics with this simple guide to chopping onions. If your recipe calls for you to dice your onion. Here's
1. Start by cutting off the end opposite the root. Place cut-off end flat on chopping board, then carefull slice in half, vertically through the stalk.
2. Using a knife blade to help you, peel the skin off each half of the onion.
3. Place the cut side down on the board and slice downwards away from the root, but try to leave the root intact.
4. Keep slicing, trying to space each slice around 1-5mm apart, or more or less depending on how fine you like your slices.
5. Next make 1 or 2 diagonal cuts down towards the root of the onion.
6. Finally, slice the onion parallel to the root, and keep slicing until all the onion is chopped.