Duck is delicious, versatile and easy to prepare at home.
Follow these top tips from Luv A Duck to ensure you cook your bird to perfection every time!
1. When roasting a duck, place on a rack in a baking tray so the fat can drain freely.
2. Ensure the vent end of the duck is always open. This allows the heat to cook the meat from the inside as well as the outside.
3. Never stuff the cavity of a whole duck. This prevents hot air entering the duck cavity.
4. A few herbs, zest of an orange or some star anise placed inside the cavity will give a good aroma and add to the flavour when cooking.
5. For a crispier skin, wipe the uncooked duck dry with kitchen paper and sprinkle a little salt on the skin.
6. Always roast a duck in a hot oven approx 190C.
7. Duck reheats really well, so why not cook it the day before, joint it when it's cold and reheat in a hot oven or under the grill for a duck dinner with ease!
8. If you reheat the duck and want the skin to be crispier, dab the skin with kitchen paper and place under a hot grill or in the oven.
9. Duck, as with all meats and poultry, should rest after cooking to allow the juices to settle. It also makes the meat easier to handle.
10. Always serve the sauce on the plate and the duck on top. Putting sauce on the crispy skin will make the skin go soft.
11. For a sweet sauce, add a couple of teaspoons of cranberry sauce.
12. When making sauce, instead of using water, use orange juice for a quick traditional Duck a l'Orange.
Pre heat the oven to 190C. Roast the whole duck for approx 45 minutes per kilo.
Size Approx Time
15 (1.5kg) 1..25 hours
20 (2.0kg) 1.5 hours
25 (2.5kg) 1.75 hours