Red Symons describes his taste in food as broad “I can wander around the zoo and speculate about the flavour of each animal”. We get the lowdown on his foodie experience.
1. Who do you see as your biggest competitor on the show?
Myself, because of my incredibly exacting standards
2. Who is your biggest inspiration in the kitchen?
The guys from Danny's Hamburgers, just up the road from me because it's one thing to do it well and another to do it well day in, week in, year after year. And they don't do beetroot.
3. What’s your favourite cookbook?
My grandmother had a Mrs Beeton's Cookbook which had advice as to how to treat the servants.
4. What condiment could you not live without?
Chicken salt, What part of the chicken do you think they use? The lips?
5. Which do you prefer - savoury or sweet?
Savoury. This body is no accident.
6. What would your last meal be?
7. What is your biggest food indulgence?
Forgiving the waiter for interrupting me in the middle of a marvelous show business anecdote.
8. What’s your favourite type of cuisine?
British. Anything involving the use of pig fat and the jellying of offal.
9. Where’s your favourite place in the world to travel to?
Anywhere, provided I am leaving the next day.
10. What has been your biggest foodie disaster?
Come Dine With Me.