Growing up Maria always loved helping her Mama with her cooking and her Papa who would well and truly do things the Sicilian way. We get the scoop on her foodie experience.
1. Who do you see as your biggest competitor on the show?
Definitely Sophie Falkiner....'Iv'e heard ! she's a great cook' and of course being a wife/mother and TV Presenter......would obviously be brilliant at multi tasking.
2. Who is your biggest inspiration in the kitchen?
My biggest inspiration in the kitchen was always my Mama who gave me the most flavoursome Italian culinary experiences from as far back as I can remember.....but surprisingly, lately I've found my daughter Bianca to be incredibly inspirational with her passion for cooking and her blog www.foodgasms.com.au
3. What’s your favourite cookbook?
I keep to my family's tradition....a cook book I treasure called 'The Cooking of Italy' circa 1968 and also my Mother's handwritten slightly tattered. recipes she kept from the time she was married.
4. What condiment could you not live without?
Extra virgin olive oil....I even put it in my body cream!!
5. Which do you prefer - savoury or sweet?
I love it both ways...depending on my foodie mood.
6. What would your last meal be?
My last meal would have to be dark chocolate souffle with white chocolate sauce and maybe squeeze in a chocolate pasta for ol' times sake! All served on a bare chested sexy man….
7. What is your biggest food indulgence?
My own home made, hand made bread filled with veal, pork, fennel, parmegiano and provelone cheese.....only for a midnight feast of course.
8. What’s your favourite type of cuisine?
My favourite type of cuisine will always be Italian ....from all regions.
9. Where’s your favourite place in the world to travel to?
The jewel of the mediterannean...Sicily. My daughter Bianca and I have just hosted 'foodgasms'..the ultimate food and wine tour to great accolades from our tour guests.
10. What has been your biggest foodie disaster?
The very first time I ever had television personality and chef, the infamous Bernard King over for dinner. I was so nervous everything went wrong - the meringues sank, the eggs exploded and the fresh pasta boiled to jelly. He laughed I cried!