In the last three centuries 90% of all people living in the western world have switched from tea to coffee. We Aussies were once tea loving, but since the arrival of Mediterranean cultures, we have switched to coffee.
Here are our top five tips for making great coffee at home:
- 1. Coffee is best used 1 or 2 days after roasting so make sure you check with your supplier and get them to let you know exactly when they roast.
- 2. Never grind more coffee beans than you need for immediate brewing because once those coffee beans are ground, the flavoursome oils are exposed to the damaging air. Once those oils start to dissipate, so does the flavour of the coffee.
- 3. Make sure you never store your coffee in a refrigerator because your coffees going to absorb all those other flavours you’ve got floating around in your fridge. Store your coffee in an air tight container in a cool dark place.
- 4. Never use soap to clean your coffee equipment, warm water will do. Otherwise your flavour’s going to suffer.
- 5. Remember good, fair trade coffee always tastes better.
There’s a coffee for everyone, a bean to suit every taste and a culture to refine every tongue and gossip.