Willie’s Chocolate Mince Pies
For the pastry
• 180g plain flour
• 20g ground almonds or almond meal
• 100g butter
• 50g golden caster sugar
• Zest of 1 lemon
• 1 egg yolk
• 2 tbsp whole milk
For the mince:
• 50g sultanas
• 50g raisins
• 50g currants
• 50g semi-dried apricots
• 25g cacao, finely grated
• 2 small green cooking apples, peeled and grated
• 1 tbsp each light brown and dark brown muscovado sugar
• 1 tsp each ground cinnamon, grated nutmeg and mixed spice
• Zest and juice of 1 lemon or orange
• 3 tbsp rum or Calvados or Grand Marnier or cognac
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• Icing sugar, to finish
1. Place the flour, almonds and butter into a food processor and pulse until the mixture looks like very fine breadcrumbs.
2. Sprinkle in the sugar then add the lemon zest, egg yolk and milk. Pulse until the mixture starts to clump together.
3. Tip the mixture onto a board and gently squeeze the pastry until it combines.
4. Wrap the dough in cling film and allow it to chill in the refrigerator for approximately 30 minutes.
5. Heat oven to 190°C.
6. Roll the pastry on a lightly floured surface to the thickness of few millimetres.
7. Using a 7cm fluted cutter, cut out 12 discs and line a 12-hole small bun tin with them. Use a 6cm fluted cutter to cut 12 discs for the lids.
8. Make the mince by putting the sultanas, raisins, currants and apricots in a food processor. Blitz until evenly chopped then stir in the remaining ingredients.
9. Spoon 2 tsp of mince into each tart, dampen the edge of the pastry bottom with water and sit a smaller pastry disc on top.
10. Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown and cool on a wire rack.
11. Finish with a dusting of icing sugar.
Watch Willie’s Perfect Chocolate Christmas on The LifeStyle Channel.