In this Christmas Special of Grow Your Own Drugs James Wong travels all over the UK to unearth some of the finest festive plants. He gives us innovative and exciting ways to embrace plant-based traditions that go back thousands of years, and shows us how we can use them to make our Christmases cheaper, healthier, and more imaginative than ever!
Christmas is the one time of year where we can show appreciation for loved ones by showering them with gifts. However, it can be an expensive business. James Wong’s original ideas for turning customary Christmas plants into beautiful, practical and cheap gifts will wow your friends and family.
Holly Truffles for the Christmas Grouch!
Holly is used to create a South American tea called Yerba Mate, which contains two vital stimulants, Theobromine and Caffeine. James Wong uses this invigorating tea to infuse his chocolate truffles, and with a bit of luck The Christmas Grump!
1. Crumble two dried chillies into a litre of water to give your truffles a kick.
2. Add a teaspoon of all spice, a vanilla pod split in half and a healthy dollop of honey.
3. Stir in four heaped tablespoons of Yerba Mate tea.
4. Simmer and reduce to 150mL of liquid.
5. Strain the reduced liquid.
6. Melt 200g of chocolate over a pan of boiling water.
7. Pour the Mate liquid into the melted chocolate.
8. Leave to cool until it solidifies into a thick gummy dough.
9. Coating - 3 parts brown sugar to one part cocoa powder.
10.Spoon truffle mixture into coating then round into perfect spheres.
Watch Grow Your Own Drugs For Christmas on The LifeStyle Channel.