Take a leaf out of a vegetarian book. Go green and pick something scrumptious from the menu at Sydney's best vegetarian restaurants.
1. Yullis ||417 Crown St, Surry Hills. Ph: (02) 9319 6609. yullis.com.au
Many a carnivore has wandered through the door here and happily eaten their meal without realising there’s no meat to be seen because one of the best things about this Crown Street café and bar is that it doesn’t make a big deal about being vegetarian – it just concentrates on putting up good dishes, of which there are plenty.
2. Iku Wholefood || 25a Glebe Point Rd, Glebe. Ph: (02) 9692 8720. ikuwholefood.com
The original Glebe outlet is now one of more than 10 stores dotted across the city – most helpfully in foodcourts. Vegetarian office workers looking for a quick takeaway lunch, Iku is a godsend. Pick up a slice of spinach and eggplant lasagne or a vegetarian nori roll.
3. Maya Vegetarian || 468-472 Cleveland St, Surry Hills. Ph: (02) 9699 8663. mayavegetarian.com.au
Vegetarians can take their pick on anything worry-free on the menu at this casual India eatery. A thali tasting plate will get you the best sense of the what’s on offer, but it’s also worth coming here just for the array of sweets.
4. Bodhi || Lower Mezzanine Level of Cook and Philip Park, 2-4 College St Sydney. ph: (02) 9360 2523. bodhi.id.au
Come lunchtime around Cook and Phillip Park you’ll find crowds sitting under the giant fig trees next to St Mary’s Cathedral munching on beetroot and ginger dumplings or mock chicken wontons at this completely vegan yum cha restaurant.
5. Green Gourmet || 115-117 King St, Newtown. Ph: (02) 9519 5330; 538 Pacific Hwy, St Leonards. Ph: (02) 9439 6533. greengourmet.com.au
This strictly vegan restaurant in Newtown has introduced the Inner West to an array of delectable dishes. It is easy to tell that when Colin Fung decided to go vegetarian, he decided to get a bit creative with his choices with menu items such as Beijing mock duck, soy cutlets, Better than Oyster fritters and vegetarian shark fin soup.