Atención tequila lovers, we've got Sydney's best tequila bars! Olay!
1. Miss Marleys || 32 Belgrave St, Manly. Ph: (02) 8065 4805. missmarleys.com.au
Cocktails are a must in the glitzy setting, but they’re made with a tequila twist. Try the Mexi-can’t margarita: kumquat marmalade and vanilla sugar shaken with smashed lemongrass, El Jimador and pressed lime. Deliciosa!
2. El Loco || 64 Foveaux Street, Surry Hills (02) 9211 4945. elloco.com.au
El Loco has found itself smack bang in the middle of the city’s current crush on all things Mexican. The tacos might be the talk of the town but the tequila should not be overlooked: here’s around 30 varieties on the shelf and a smashing tequila slushy.
3. The Norfolk || 305 Cleveland St, Redfern. Ph: (02) 9699 3177. thenorfolk.co
We like the Norfolk for a lot of reasons (great bars food, Taco Tuesdays, the bloody marys), but nothing says love quite like a tequila happy hour. Fridays 6-8pm will get you $5 tequila shots or a mean $10 margarita.
4. Cafe Pacifico || 95 Riley St, Darlinghurst. Ph: (02) 9360 3811. cafepacifico.com.au
Cafe Pacifico was doing the whole south of the border thing long before Mexican was the flavor-del-dia. And they know full well that you can’t do Mexican without a good tequila. There 90 to choose from including the rare, the premium and those served as a jug of margarita.
5. Rock Lily || Star City, Level 1, 80 Pyrmont St, Pyrmont. star.com.au/rocklily
This Star City venue has styled itself with live music and also acknowledge the long-standing relationship between rock’n’roll and tequila. They have a whopping 120 tequilas on the menu, making it one of the largest selections in the country, but just as importantly, they have booth seats made out of Cadillacs. Cool. What could be better?