Come winter, nothing beats a bowl of hearty soup. These spots are serving up Sydney's best soup.
1. Betty’s Soup Kitchen || 84 Oxford St, Darlinghurst. Ph: (02) 9360 9698
Betty’s Soup Kitchen is a renowned Oxford Street institution. Classic home-style fare is what’s on offer here, still cooked to Betty’s recipes: pot pies, bangers and mash and, of course, soups. Lentil, minestrone and goulash all come served with plenty of bread and butter to soak it all up.
2. Pho Tau Bay || 12/117 John St, Cabramatta. Ph: (02) 9726 4583
For a warming and restorative soup, there’s nothing quite like pho. One of Vietnam’s most famous culinary exports, it is the broth that forms the base of one of Vietnam’s most famous dishes. Sydney has plenty of phamous pho on offer, but this Cabramatta eatery is a foodie favourite: savoury, fragrant and served with all the trimmings.
3. Ramen-Kan || Level 1, 90 Hay St, Haymarket Ph: (02) 9211 6677
Those who have managed to find this hidden gem swear by the tonkotsu ramen with pork and egg, or the sweet and creamy shio butter corn ramen. Keep an eye out, this hole-in-the-wall eatery is accessed only via a tiny elevator.
4. Chrysler Cafe Bar || Sydney Arcade, 400 Pitt St, Sydney. Ph: 9231 4711; 60 Martin Pl, Sydney. Ph: (02) 9232 8077. chryslercafebar.com
Great for a quick takeaway lunch or coffee, but it’s the rotating menu of soups that get people lining up at this café. The website lists the daily flavours for their Pitt St and Martin Place stores so you’ll know when to drop in for beef gumbo or swing by for chicken mulligatawny.
5. Malay Chinese Takeaway || Shop 1, 50-58 Hunter St, Sydney. Ph: (02) 9231 6788. malaychinese.com.au
This CBD contender is a popular one, serving a rich soup erring on the thick coconutty side rather than the sour one, packed with your choice of chicken, prawns or beef. Attempting to single out any laksa as Sydney’s best is a bit of a contentious issue, with the opinions of the subject as varied as the soups on offer, but this one is a sure fire winner.