We've covered all bases with these best Sydney pizza places.
1. Pompei’s || 126 Roscoe St, Bondi Beach. Ph: (02) 9365 1233. pompeis.com.au
George Pompei is a perfectionist. All his pizzas are made with carefully selected ingredients: stone-ground, unbleached flour, extra virgin olive oil, natural yeast and sea salt. He lets the dough prove for 36 hours. His toppings are simple, seasonal and meticulously layered on thin crust. His commitment to purity doesn’t however equate with a limited menu; there are 25 tasty options on the menu, including the popular sausage and broccoli.
2. Pizza Mario || St Margaret’s Complex, Shp 9/417-421 Bourke St, Surry Hills. Ph: (02) 9332 3633. pizzamario.com.au
Pizza Mario is the only Sydney pizzeria to have been accredited by Italy’s Associazione Vera Pizza Napoletana –the association that promotes the culture of the Neapolitan pizza worldwide-. To remain in the Association’s good graces, the eatery has to stick to strict, yet delicious rules. Variations to the menu are not permitted, but the pizzas are certainly up to purists’ standards.
3. La Disfida Enoteca Pizza || 109 Ramsay St, Haberfield. Ph: (02) 9798 8299. ladisfida.com.au
La Disfida, which has been under new ownership since 2010, was one of the first “authentic” pizzerias in Sydney and the pizzas that made its name remain as good as they ever were. Pretty much anything you order here will be a winner, but the Margherita is the original pizza.
4. Lucio Pizzeria || Shp111/ 46 Burton St, Darlinghurst. Ph: (02) 9332 3766. luciopizzeria.com.au
Lucio Pizzeria is famous for its signature half-ham-and-ricotta calzone and half margherita pizza. Yes, this is unique and only half of your pizza will arrive folded! This small Italian eatery, nestled in vibrant Darlignhurst, not only executes pizzas in grand Neapolitan style, but also serves up tasty calamari for starters and silky panacotta for afters.
5. Rosso Pomodoro || Shop 90-91, 24 Buchanan St, Balmain. Ph: (02) 9555 5924. rossopomodoro.com.au
The pizzas are cooked straight on the stone at this unassuming Italian eatery, located on the waterside. The thin and slightly chewy crust is delicious. Try the Patate e Salsiccia with potato, Italian sausage, mozzarella and rosemary. An absolute treat.