Perfect pre-dinner nibbles, you'll go nutty over Sydney's best nut shops!
1. The Nut Roaster || 79-81 Chapel St, Lakemba. Ph: (02) 9759 1206. nutroaster.com.au
All kinds of nuts, nibblies and dried fruit are on offer here, but the house specialty are the kri kri – peanuts coated in a chili, barbecue or sesame shell. What started as a small back-room operation is now a flourishing retail outlet and online store and we definitely think you should pay a visit.
2. Oriental & Continental Foods || 43 Carlotta St, Artarmon. Ph: (02) 9906 8990.
You can never have too many nuts, and here there are thousands of items on the shelves at this warehouse-style store of which you can buy bulk bags that will set up your pantry nicely. Plus there’s a counter of hot roasted nuts for instant snacking gratification.
3. Harkola || 3-7 Highgate St, Auburn. Ph: (02) 9737 5888. harkola.com
At Harkola cashews, almonds and even chickpeas are roasted in-store and are sold loose so you can buy as little or as much as you like. They are not simply a nut store but a shop full of Middle Eastern produce.
4. The Nut Shop || 20 Allen St,Waterloo. Ph: (02) 9319 6574; Shp 25, The Strand Arcade, Sydney. Ph: (02) 9231 3038. nutshop.com.au
It’s hard not to be tempted by the dark chocolate-coated macadamias or the candied Vienna almonds despite your best intentions to stick to a healthy snack like pistachios. Hit the Waterloo factory outlet for bargains on bulk nuts in 3kg bags (or a naughty 2kg of chocolate).
5. Nuts City || Stand 703-708, Sydney’s Paddy’s Market, cnr Hay and Thomas Sts, Haymarket; 2/153 Orchardleigh St, Guildford. Ph (02) 9721 0627. nutscity.com.au
Nuts City is set up among the snack vans towards food area at the back of Paddy’s Markets. Feel free to scoff down purchases of roasted almonds or salted pumpkin seeds while doing the shopping.