Say Bonjour to Sydney’s best French restaurants.
1. Bronte Road Bistro || 282 Bronte Rd. Charing Cross. Ph: (02) 9389 3028. bronteroadbistro.com
This indoor-outdoor leafy bistro is a little pocket of bliss right in the heart of Charing Cross. Steak Frites, Duck Confit and other bistro classics are cooked to perfection by Chef Matt Barnett.
2. Vamps || 227 Glenmore Rd. Paddington. Ph: (02) 9331 1032. vampsbistro.com
If you’re after golden, shredded onions swimming in a hot, clear broth topped with Gruyere toast, be sure to visit this BYO bistro. Vamps is a classic and dishes up the best French onion soup in town.
3. Flinder’s Inn || 160 Flinders Street. Paddington. Ph: (02) 9331 0208
In this discreet French bistro, nestled behind Flinders Street in Surry Hills, you may think you have landed headfirst in a Parisian bistro. Saffron, white wine and peppery aromas delicately accompany dishes such as roasted mulloway, kipfler potatoes, mussels provencal and rouille.
4. Grasshopper || Temperance La (between 389 and 391 George St). Sydney. Ph: (02) 9947 9025. thegrasshopper.com.au
At last, George Street hosts a restaurant that brings steak au poivre and pomme puree at the centre of our gastronomical map. Tucked away in a laneway off George St, Grasshopper is cool, cosy, eclectic, and serves up mouth-watering French fare.
5. Tabou || 527 Crown St. Surry Hills. Ph: (02) 9319 5682
At Tabou, expect to find a full array of traditional French dishes. This French jewel expertly executes classics such as escargots, chicken liver mousse, morello cherry jam, and twice baked cheese soufflé.