May we tempt you with some of Melbourne's best dumplings?
1. Dumpling King || 572 Station Street. Box Hill. Ph: (03) 9890 3719.
These Beijing-style boiled silky dumplings in flavours like pork and chive are mouth-wateringly good and complement the award-winner with attentive service and cheapish range.
2. Hutong Dumpling Bar || 14-16 Market Lane. Melbourne. 3000 Ph: (03) 9650 8128. hutong.com.au
The xiao long bao (pork soup dumplings) their signature. Also try the prawn and chive dumplings, the crunchy chinese broccoli or the wontons in chilli sauce. The three-storey haunt is situated opposite Flower Drum and reigns supreme with sleek oriental décor. It gets very busy though!
3. Crystal Jade || 154 Little Bourke St. Melbourne. 3000 Ph: (03) 9639 2633 crystaljade.com.au
This place is on the upmarket side with neon signage, modern interior and gold wall carvings. Get the har gaos dumplings for a juicy prawn fix or the Chicken in Chinjew Sauce as well as some amazing chilli crab!
4. Oriental Tea House || 455 Chapel St. South Yarra. 3141. Ph: (03) 9824 0128 orientalteahouse.com.au
Who would have thought this Chapel St corner tea house with its glitzy trinkets used to be a pub! Also a tea retailer, as the name says, they serve tender, translucent baby pea leaf dumpling and chocolate ones for dessert. Definitely worth a visit!
5. Mahjong || 165 Fitzroy St. St Kilda. Ph: (03) 9534 8833 mahjongrestaurant.com.au
Max Tsang’s brainchild has nice stylish décor with half-moon red suede booths and chandeliers. The peking Duck and chilli dumplings are hand crafted by ex-Lucky Chan chef Wah.