From dips to cheeses to specialty meats, these are our best Melbourne delicatessens!
1. Laikon Deli || 324 Bridge Rd. Richmond. Ph: (03) 9428 8495.
As this super friendly family-run Greek-style deli you will find local and imported cheeses, dips and specialty meats like chorizo with dry goods like nuts are shelved beside exotic European spices. The café serves good coffee, lunch bites and traditional Greek pastries.
2. Bill’s Farm || Stalls 17-18 Dairy Produce Hall. Queen Victoria Market. Corner Coventry and Cecil St. Melbourne. Ph: (03) 9328 2003. billsfarm.com.au
Out of all the choices, this is the go-to deli at the QVM. Wheels of exotic cheeses like mature cheddars and buffalo mozzarellas share cabinets with other small goods and cured meats like proscuitto and spicy chorizo. Deli-lover heaven!
3. Ludo The Good Food Store || 5 Waltham St. Sandringham. Ph: (03) 9598 5488.
Besides the great coffee, Little Bertha cakes and Irrewarra sourdough, this bayside deli has shelves and fridges filled with local and foreign foodstuffs like Mt Zero olive oil and Cunliffe wafers.
4. Stocked Food Store || 549 Malvern Rd. Toorak. Ph: (03) 9826 3333.
A delightful and newly renovated deli where you can find everything from quality small goods to fine cheeses, olive oil and spices for an impressive pantry. Run by foodies Bill Tizmas, Tess Heristanidis and Paul Mahoney.
5. La Parisienne Pate || 290 Lygon St. Carlton. Ph: (03) 9349 1852.
Parlez-vous Français? Ironically located on Italian-themed strip, you will find nothing but French pates, terrines, cheeses and butter. Talked-about pies are plump with duck, rabbit and goat’s cheese and you can complete your meal with a bottle of European red – you won’t even think you’re still in Australia!