From rooftop terraces with superb city views to cosy award-winning lounges, Melbourne boasts some of the world’s best cocktail bars.
1. Der Raum || 438 Church St. Richmond. Melbourne. Ph: (03) 9428 0055. derraum.com.au
There is nothing pre-mixed or artificial at this members-only and award-winning bar. Der Raum’s signature cocktail list only showcases the finest spirits. Pull up a chair and watch Der Raum’s skilled bartenders bring imaginative cocktails with fresh ingredients to life.
2. Siglo Bar || Level 2. 161 Spring St. Melbourne. Ph: (03) 9654 6631.
Perched above the Supper Club, this elegant rooftop terrace offers stunning views of the historic Parliament House. The heated terrace is the perfect place to enjoy a fine wine in winter, or a dry martini on a hot summer night. With style, yet without pretension.
3. The Black Pearl || 305 Brunswick St. Fitzroy. Ph: (03) 9417 0455.
Swap your Bloody Mary for a ‘Bitter Sweet Symphony’ with Tanqueray gin, Aperol, Punt e Mes and hibiscus. Pull up an armchair in the 70’s style, veloured and candle-lit lounge, and enjoy an award-winning cocktail or boutique beer in low-key Brunswick St.
4. Polly Bar || 401 Brunswick St. Fitzroy. Ph: (03) 9417 0880. pollybar.com.au
In the old-world décor, staff in waistcoats and ties shake every favourite and more of an awesome cocktail list. Order the renowned espresso martini or sample some traditional French Absinthe. As you leave, the doorman gifts a pink heart lollypop. Discrete yet divine.
5. Emerald Peacock || 233 Lonsdale St. Melbourne. Ph: (03) 9654 8680. theemeraldpeacock.com
Dress smart on Friday and Saturday and order the namesake – a blend of muddled watermelon, pomegranate molasses, apple and lime juice mixed with Pisco & Liqueur. This cosy cocktail lounge, decorated with vintage French foil wallpaper, self-proclaims being ‘graceful, confident and bold, just like a peacock!’