With shelves packed with with blues and bries, smell and taste them Sydney's best city cheese shops.
1. Formaggi Ocello ||16/425-429 Bourke St, Surry Hills Ph: (02) 9357 7878. ocello.com.au
This store is heaven for cheese lovers. Here it’s all about the long glass cabinet of cow, goat, buffalo, blue, white mould, hard and soft cheeses with a selection of more than 200 cheeses from Australia, Italy and France. There’s coffee served during the day and wine at night and even bits and pieces like salami and crispbread.
2. The Cheese Shop || 797 Military Rd, Mosman. Ph: (02) 9969 4469.
No kidding around here, it’s all about cheese and we love a shop that is exactly what the name says it is. These cheese experts have been serving the North Shore for close to 40 years and stock a range of around 180 local and international varieties, with a particular fondness for the oft-overlooked English cheeses.
3. Simon Johnson ||181 Harris St, Pyrmont. Ph: (02) 8244 8240. simonjohnson.com.au
This Pyrmont fromagerie features a walk in cheese room that, in 1992, was the first of its kind in Australia. There is so much cheese on offer it can sometimes get overwhelming but with quality ham and delicious flatbreads on offer, it is so worth a visit.
4. GPO Cheese & Wine Room || 1 Martin Pl, Sydney. Ph: (02) 9229 7701. gposydney.com
Located smack bang in the middle of Sydney, fromager Sonia Cousins stocks the shelves with the very best boutique Australian and world cheeses available as tasty take home purchases. You can also sit and dine with a tasting platter or with some of the delectable items from their menu.
5. Paesanella Haberfield || 88 Ramsay St, Haberfield. (02) 9799 8483. paesanella.com.au
The range includes delightfully stinky cheeses from France, Italy and Spain but the speciality is the fresh, locally made cheeses that are delivered from the Marrickville factory daily. The bocconcini, baked ricotta, caciotta and burrata are the top picks.