Crackers? Check. Quince paste? Check. Fine wine? Sure. Say cheese at these inner-city stopovers.
1. La Latteria || 104 Elgin St. Carlton. 3053. Ph: (03) 9347 9009. lalatteria.com.au
This self-proclaimed ‘Mozzarella Laboratory’ you can shop for some juicy but firm prize-winning buffalo mozzarella used with milk from Northern Vic and Northern QLD. Watch as they stretch fresh Italian-style cheese on site.
2. Cornelius Cheese, Wine and Coffee || 141 Maling Road. Canterbury. Ph: (03) 9830 7915. corneliusfoods.com.au
On the historic Mailing Rd you can stop here for a delicious breakfast or lunch where staff will help you design the perfect platter from French, Portuguese, Italian and Aussie cheeses. Perhaps some Brillat Savarin, a soft cow cheese from Normandy.
3. Milawa Cheese Shop || 665 Nicholson St.North Carlton. Ph (03) 9381 1777. milawacheese.com.au
Definitely worth a stop off for the regular tastings of this North East Victorian cheese maker. With everything hand-made, treat yourself to some Milawa Native Pepper Chevre – that Aussie-style peppery, eucalypt bite comes from a light dusting of crushed natives and berries! To die for!
4. Richmond Hill Café and Larder || 48-50 Bridge Rd. Richmond. Ph: (03) 9421 2808. rhcl.com.au
At ‘The Cheese Room’ at RHCL you will find an enormous range of local and international hand-made cheeses. Even better are the knowledgeable professionals that educate in all things cheesy plus you can become a ‘Cheese Club’ members and get 10% off.
5. Curds and Whey || Stall 12-13 Dairy Produce Hall. Queen Victoria Market. Ph: (03) 9326 9009.
Originating in 1929, the last remaining cheese stall in the Vic Market’s Dairy Produce Hall has a wide variety at excellent market prices. Join the weekend queue for some Drouin Tasty Cheddar!