Pickles or not, we've found Melbourne's best city burgers.
1. Andrews Hamburgers || 144 Bridport St.Albert Park. andrewshamburgers.com.au
Melbourne-famous, the Albert Park burger institution started way back in 1939. A small shop that pumps at all hours – But expect a bit of a wait on a Friday or Saturday night! You can expect nicely toasted, sesame bun contains hearty beef and the usual juicies, lettuce, tomato and cheese if you please. Best value for money you can find around. You’ll need both hands.
2. Danny’s Hamburgers ||360 St Georges Rd. Fitzroy North. Ph: (03) 9481 5847.
This old-school diner opened in 1945 and boasts a blackboard and stainless steel. You’ll get nothing less than a tasty burger with fresh ingredients, even after midnight (it closes at 2am). With no frills service, forget cutlery, you’ll need both hands.
3. Misty’s Diner || 103-105 High St, Prahran. Ph: (03) 9510 1959. mistysdiner.com.au
Enjoy authentic American-style burgers in 50s-style booths. Forget your waistline on this menu coz it all kinda tastes really good and is made with nothing but love. If you dare, handle a ‘Double Whammy’ with twin beef patties, bacon, cheese, salad and BBQ sauce. They’ll even wash your car.
4. Embassy Taxi Café || 547 Spencer St. West Melbourne. Ph: (03) 9328 1830.
And inexpensive Spencer St take-away place features retro décor and lino floors. It is open 24 hrs for you to join taxi drivers for an awesome burger with hearty beef pattie and quality extras like bacon and an egg.
5. Beatbox Kitchen || Level 7 Curtin House, 252 Swanston Street. Melbourne Ph: (03) 9663 3596.
American style burgers with Tassie grass-fed beef, Beatbox Kitchen can be found at festivals, community events or on inner northern street corners in their mobile beatbox-cum-food-truck. Over summer they’re temporarily fixed at Swanston St’s Rooftop Bar.