From porridge to poached, here are the best brekkies around town.
1. Cumulus Inc. || 45 Flinders Lane. Melbourne. Ph: (03) 9650 1445. cumulusinc.com.au.
Head chef Andrew McConnell knows breakfast like no one in Melbourne. From classic granola to a Cumulus full English with slab bacon, blood sausage, fried egg and tomato smoked sardines, parsley salad and slow-cooked egg, definitely worth jumping out of bed early for!
2. The European|| 161 Spring St. Melbourne. Ph: (03) 9654 0811. theeuropean.com.au.
If you’re in Melb on Sunday you must go here, it’s one of George Colambaris’ favourites. Go simple with crumpets and spreads, classic with a Croque Monsieur or try Huevos madrilenos – baked eggs, black pudding and chorizo. Interestingly tasty.
3. Hardware Societe || 120 Hardware St. Ph: (03) 9078 5992.
For the perfect morning pick-me-up go for baked, poached or scrambled eggs or pack an omega 3 punch with sardines on toast. It’s a cute little laneway café with gorgeous décor and chic wallpaper and if you order tea the pot comes with bright knitted cosy!
4. Duchess of Spotswood|| 87 Hudsons Road. Spotswood. Ph: (03) 9391 6016. duchessofspotswood.com.au.
Great menu names – order the ‘Stormin’ Norman’ with grilled ham, fried egg, sourdough and heirloom tomatoes or the ‘Scotch Woodstock’ with scrambled eggs, Gentleman’s relish and white anchonvy fillets. It’s not that far out but far enough to enjoy a no-rush, no-fuss beaut brekkie in peace. How grand.
5. Demitris Feast || 141 Swan St. Richmond. Ph: (03) 9428 8659. www.demitrisfeast.com.au.
Try a Greek breakfast with baclava French toast comes with thick Greek yoghurt & orange honey syrup or the Greek Omeletta with lokaniko sausage, potatoes and kefalograviera. Paired with Baker D Chirico breads, its quality all over the plate and will put a spring in your morning step!