Ever tried African food? We’ve hunted down Sydney’s best African restaurants.
1. African Feeling || 1/501 King St, Newtown. Ph: (02) 9516 3130. africanfeeling.com.au
This Newtown restaurant is an important part of the African community that has been serving up rich chicken stews for 15 years from Ethiopia. You’ll definitely be feeling full after a dinner of Nigerian dumplings, tender goat with spinach and the staple fufu, which are all delicious.
2. African Queen || 318 Illawarra Rd, Marrickville. Ph: (02) 9554 7047.
A family from Sierra Leone serve up healthy West African cuisine at African Queen. Dishes like the ontoko wings and safari beef are popular, but the one thing all diners lover is the homemade ginger beer, which is made to a secret family recipe.
3. Radio Cairo || 83 Spofforth St, Cremorne. Ph: (02) 9908 2649.
Tuck into Limpopo crocodile wings, Afro fries, boerwors sausages or some not-so-African dishes like Jamaican jerk ribs, plus an extensive beer menu. This place is popular among visitors to the nearby Orpheum for a post-movie meal, but it is definitely worth a visit in its own right.
4. Lat-Dior African Eatery || 150 Enmore Rd, Newtown. Ph: (02) 9557 4467. africaneatery.com
Owner Mohamed Diagne has been introducing locals to the full spectrum of African tastes since he moved from Senegal. He dishes up beef from Madagascar, tajines from the continent’s north and spiced boneless chicken from the west and we think he is doing a very good job of convincing us!
5. Durban Dish || 6 Old Northern Rd, Baulkham Hills. Ph: (02) 9639 3872.
Serving a fusion of African and Indian cuisines this restaurant and shop is all an expat could hope for. As well as traditional dishes, check out the bunny chow – hollowed out bread filled with curry.