Rich stews and dried meats so good that once you try them, you'll fall in love. Here are Melbourne's best African restaurants.
1. Café Lalibela || 91 Irving St. Footscray. 3011. Ph (03) 9687 0300.
Feast on spicy, slow-cooked ‘wats’ (stewed meats) and soak injera bread for a wholesome hands-on banquet. Owners Abera and Salam Ayalaw emigrated from Kenya where they ran a similar-style eatery, this is as authentic as it gets!
2. Dinkensh Lucy Ethiopian Restaurant || Barkly St. Footscray. 3011. Ph: (03) 9687 8644
Saturday night? Strapped for cash? Feel the beat with live Ethiopian music while you fill up on a budget. Perhaps some doro alicha, a chicken dish with berbere pepper sauce served with rice or Enjera.
3. Kamel || 19 Victoria Ave. Albert Park. 3206. Ph: (03) 9696 1386. kamelrestaurant.com
Mouth-watering aromas fill this small café serving African and Moroccan-inspired fare, with brekkies like honey toast with Ethiopian spice, lunches of steamed mussels with mint harissa and lavish dinners.
4. The Abyssinian || 277 Racecourse Rd. Kensington. 3031. Ph: (03) 9376 8754. theabyssinian.com.au
Rich stews and dry meats top sour ‘injera’ bread and the African wooden décor makes you feel like you’re on safari at this communal-style, well-priced café.
5. Nyala African || 113 Brunswick St. Fitzroy. 3065. Ph: (03) 9419 9128.
At this long-standing Fitzroy restaurant with colourful décor, wash down filling dishes like Baboutie, meat minced with chutney, nuts and dried fruit with an African beer.