The top ranked wine in the world is right on our doorstep.
An Australian Shiraz has taken the top spot in a worldwide ranking of the best wines and wineries.
Taylors Jaraman Shiraz 2014 was declared the best in the world, having won the most awards at international wine competitions throughout the year.
The best part: a bottle of the Aussie Shiraz will set you back a mere $25.
Austrailan wines faired well in the World Rankings of Wines and Spirits, with four different Taylors wines making the global top 10.
Given its huge number of accolades, it's unsurprising that Taylors in South Australia's Clare Valley was also dubbed the world's best winery.
Meanwhile, fellow Australian winery Wolf Blass was ranked #4 in the best winery list.
The World Rankings of Wines and Spirits is published by the World Association of Wine Writers and Journalists, an organisation made up of the industry's critics and reviewers. The list is calculated on a points system based on awards handed out at international wine competitions within the judging year.
While the Jaraman Shiraz 2014 is hard to get a handle on, the 2015 can be bought at most bottleshops nationwide for $20-$30.
Here's the full top 10 list of the best wines:
- Taylors Jaraman Shiraz 2014, Australia
- Taylors St Andrews Single Vineyard Release Shiraz Clare Valley 2013, Australia
- Noe Pedro Ximenez Vors, Spain
- Taylors St Andrews Single Vineyard Release Shiraz Clare Valley 2014, Australia
- Casa Perini Moscatel, Brazil
- Beronia Rioja Reserva 2011, Spain
- Los Noques Finca Don Juan 2013, Argentina
- Matusalem Oloroso Dulce Muy Viejo VORS, Spain
- Taylors Shiraz Clare Valley 2015, Australia
- Beviam Gran Reserva Cabernet Sauvignon 2012, Argentina
... And the best wineries:
- Taylors (Traded as Wakefield Wines in export markets), Australia
- Gonzalez Byass S.A., Spain
- Casa Santos Lima - Companhia Das Vinhas S.A., Portugal
- Wolf Blass Wines, Australia
- Sogrape Vinhos de Portugal S.A., Portugal
- Felix Solis Avantis S.A. Pagos Del Rey, Spain
- La Cave Des Vignerons De Pfaffenheim, France
- Bodega Trapiche S.A., Argentina
- Bodegas de Familia Burgo Viejo S.L., Spain
- Viña Concha y Toro S.A., Chile
Read the full report here.