There's nothing like a deliciosuly rich roast for the main at Christmas lunch. Hugh creates a perfectly sumptuous but simple main that all your guests will love!
Roast Haunch of Seeker
1. Ask your butcher to debone the shoulder joint of the venison.
2. Cover in some simple flavourings of rosemary and thyme and secure it with the core fat. (You can ask your butcher to do this for you too)
3. Roast in a hot oven for about one and a half hours, or until you’ve performed ‘the knife test’. Stick a sharp knife into the centre of the venison shoulder. Once it is removed, the tip should be just bearable to the touch.
Two Root Treat of Swedes and Spuds
1. Boil parsnips and potatoes.
2. Rice and mash with hot milk and butter.
3. Then stir in some gently sweated leeks and serve.
Watch Christmas At River Cottage on The LifeStyle Channel.