Slow Cooked Onion Soup with Gruyere
- a good slurp of olive oil
- a good knob of unsalted butter
- 6 medium onions, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tspn caster sugar
- 75 ml brandy
- 1 litre salt-reduced chicken stock
- 1 heaped tspn fresh thyme leaves
- sea salt & freshly ground pepper
- 4 slices of sourdough bread
- grated gruyere cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil and butter in a heavy-bottomed pot and gently cook onions and garlic with caster sugar until golden.
- Add brandy and reduce a little.
- Then add stock, thyme and seasonings. Stir and gently cook for about 15 mins until fragrant, stirring now and again. Taste for seasoning.
- When soup is ready, toast or grill the sourdough.
- To serve, place bread in individual flat soup bowls, ladle soup over the top and sprinkle with gruyere and parsley.