Tea Smoked Chicken with Shiitake Mushrooms
- 1 size 1.5 corn-fed Chicken
- 2 tablespoons tea smoking mix
- ½ knob Ginger finely sliced
- 2 Garlic Cloves finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon Palm Sugar
- 1 tablespoon yellow bean soy
- ¼ cup shao xing cooking wine
- 150 g fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 1 bunch broccolini
- vegetable oil
Tea smoking mix
- jasmine rice
- brown sugar
- jasmine tea
- Remove excess fat from the inside of the chicken.
- Place smoking mix onto a piece of foil and into a wok on high heat.
- The mixture will start to burn, then place the chicken on a rack in the wok and cover with another wok to form a seal.
- Turn heat down to medium and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove chicken and place in a steamer on medium for 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken and cool.
- In a hot pan with a small amount of vegetable oil, fry garlic, ginger and eschallots until they are golden brown.
- Add shao xing wine and ignite to remove all of the alcohol, reduce all the way down.
- Add shiitakes and cook for two to three minutes, then add palm sugar and caramelise lightly before adding yellow bean soy and chicken stock.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Heat vegetable oil in a wok until hot.
- Split chicken in half down the backbone and fry until very crispy all over.
- Remove and rest on wire rack in a warm place.
- Steam the broccolini and place on the bottom of the plate.
- Pour braised shiitakes over.
- Cut the chicken into small pieces and spread over the plate.
- Serve with a bowl of steamed rice.