Yam Kao Tort Naem Sot (Salad of deep fried rice with savoury mince)
- 1 -2 tablespoons red curry paste
- about 100 g cooked jasmine rice - room temperature to just warm
- a dash of fish sauce
- a good pinch of sugar - optional
- 1 egg, whisked
- oil for deep-frying
- 2 tablespoons stock
- pinch of salt
- 100 g minced fatty pork – ideally a rather coarse hand mince
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1–2 tablespoons fish sauce
- large pinch of roasted chilli powder
- 3 red shallots, sliced
- handful of mixed mint and coriander leaves
- 1 tablespoon shredded long leaf coriander - pak chii farang – optional
- 1 tablespoon deep-fried dried bird’s eye chillies or 1 large dried red chilli
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground deep-fried peanuts
- 1 small cucumber, sliced
- Mix curry paste and rice together, season with fish sauce and sugar. Form into small dumplings, roughly 2 cm in diameter. Dip lightly in the egg and deep-fry over a medium low heat until golden and the outer grains of rice are a little crunchy. Do not over season as the taste concentrates in flavour as it deep fried; it is then combined with a highly seasoned dressing.
- Heat stock with salt and add minced pork, stirring to prevent it clumping. When cooked – about a minute or so – season with lime juice and fish sauce. Add chilli powder, shallots, mint,
- coriander, pak chii farang and peanuts.
- Break open the rice dumplings and arrange on a plate. Cover with the savoury mince and serve sprinkled with chillies and peanuts.
- Accompany with a plate of cucumber slices.