Beggars Purse of Calamari and Trout Roe
- 1 kg cleaned calamari tubes
- 100 g trout roe
- 250 g caul or crepinette
- 1 head Fennel
- 100 ml Lime juice
- 50 g Sugar
- 50 g Barberries
- 100 ml Olive Oil
- 1 long Red chilli chopped
- 1 punnet baby herb Swiss chard or shiso
- Soak the caul in water overnight to remove impurities.
- Place calamari in freezer until firm for about three hours.
- Thinly slice the calamari and beat it by hand in a bowl with a little water, salt and pepper.
- When the mixture becomes firm divide into four and rest in the fridge for one hour.
- Spread the caul onto a moist bench and place the calamari into a disc on the caul.
- Place 25g roe into the centre.
- Cut the caul in a border 3cm from the calamari.
- Pull up the sides to form a ball encasing the trout roe.
- Tie the caul and trim the excess caul.
- Repeat for the remaining mixture.
- Rest for one hour in the fridge.
- Thinly slice the fennel and toss in hot oil until just beginning to soften.
- In the same pan cook the calamari balls.
- Turn the squid balls every minute to ensure even cooking for about four minutes.
- Combine lime juice, sugar, barberries, chilli and 50ml of olive oil.
- Divide the fennel onto four plates.
- Place the calamari ball on top taking care to remove the string.
- Drizzle with a little dressing and finish with plucked baby herb leaves.