Apple and cinnamon strudel
- 3-4 sheets filo pastry
- 1 apple, cored and cut into chunks
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 50ml Grand Marnier
- 40g flaked almonds
- 80ml whipping cream
- 150g butter, melted in a pan
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1tbsp caster sugar
- Icing sugar to dust
- Soak the raisins in the Grand Marnier for 5 minutes, then drain.
- In a frying pan, caramelise the apples with the brown sugar and cinnamon in a little butter until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Stir in the almonds and raisins and cook for a further minute, coating everything in the caramel. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Lay out the filo pastry, brushing each sheet with butter and dusting with a little icing sugar before layering 3 or 4 on top of each other.
- Spoon the apple filling in a line down the middle of the pastry, then fold in each of the opposite sides to form a long parcel.
- Brush the top with butter and dust with a little caster sugar. Bake in the oven for 7-8 minutes for 200C.
- Whip the cream until thick and serve the strudel fresh from the oven with the cream drizzled over and a dusting of icing sugar.